Kauai Volunteer Week 2018 is happening this month on our beautiful island of Kauai. If you live on island or happen to be visiting and would like to give something back to the aina (land), check out the ways you may serve Kauai, no matter what part of the island you are on. Kauai Volunteer Week 2018 runs from Sunday, April 15, 2018 to Saturday, April 21, 2018.
If you are interested in volunteer opportunities on Kauai, but will not be on island for Kauai Volunteer Week 2018, look no further! Volunteer Kauai has collected a list of organizations focused on sustainable economic development initiatives who accept individual, visiting volunteers. Opportunities fall across a variety of areas and locations. If you have a group of 5 or more and are interested in organizing a specific group service project or trip around your interests, you may contact Volunteer Kauai.
Volunteer Kauai is the island of Kauai’s first major voluntourism project, begun by local nonprofit Malama Kauai, whose mission is to advocate, educate, and drive action towards a sustainable Kauai. The goal is to educate and engage visitors in sustainable tourism and volunteering.
Volunteer Kauai supports the Hawaii Ecotourism Association’s principles of sustainable tourism. This can be defined as, “Tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.”
“Essentially, that is the name of our game. Sustainability defines our operating principles in the following content areas:
- Environmental Management – The service projects we facilitate engage with nature and culture in a responsible way. All projects and listings contribute to conservation and community outcomes for Kauai.
- Staff Management – Program facilitators are trained to provide participants with authentic volunteer experiences amongst Hawaiian nature and culture.
- Interpretation Management – We provide accurate and citable information to participants.
- Consumer Evaluation Management – We conduct formal and informal evaluations to seek and respond to participant feedback. This allows us to keep improving upon our mission!
- Marketing Management – Our marketing materials provide accurate and responsible information about our services.”
For volunteer opportunities and internships, go to http://volunteerkauai.org/volunteer-opportunities/.
For more posts about Kauai or to subscribe to this blog, find a category list and subscription form on the right-hand side of this page.